If your roof is leaking, DO NOT panic! Yes, your roof is the aspect of your home that keeps you and your family safe. Likewise, It is important that you address a leaky roof as soon as possible as water to the structure of your home will cause further damage.
Signs of a leaky roof
- Mold: This is an indicator that moisture is entering your home.
- Water rings: Often times moisture will leave rings or bubble the paint on the ceiling
- Shingles: Check your roof for missing, damaged, cracked, and curling shingles
- Flashing: Ensure the flashing on the roof is sealed properly and there are no cracks
- Gutters: Ensure that water flows through your gutters properly without overflow
What causes a leaky roof?
A roof leak may be caused by a few factors.
- Cracked flashing
- Ice dams
- Poor ventilation
- Missing/ cracked shingles
- Shallow roof slopes
What to do
The extent of the damage will determine whether or not a full roof replacement is needed. Furthermore, the age of your roof may be a indicator how you should move forward.
If your roof is on the newer side, a few damages or missing shingles may be cost-effective to repair. However, If the damage goes deeper and involves an aging roof or multiple layers of roofing materials, a partial or full replacement is likely going to be the solution.
Majority of leaks may be solved by a repair, however, in some cases, a replacement may be necessary.
Your best line of defense against a roof leak is to regularly inspect your roof for signs of damage and address them to mitigate risks. A roof that leaks is a threat to your home’s integrity that should be taken seriously. Indeed, the quicker you find and address the problem causing your leaky roof, the better.
A roofing expert will have the best idea of what your roof needs moving forward. Finally, If you are sure you have a leaky roof, be sure to contact a professional for a fool proof plan.