In 2016, Elon Musk announced the introduction of Tesla Solar Shingles. The shingles are a photovoltaic system that integrates renewable energy into roofing shingles.
With high upfront costs, this solar roofing system can add home value and energy efficiency to your home.
On this page
(Click for a shortcut)
- Aesthetics: One major benefit of the Tesla Solar Roof is the design. They appear as a typical roof but have full functionality to convert solar power into energy for the home.
- Durability: The Tesla Solar Shingles is made up of tempered glass which is highly durable. The tiles are resistant to fading, impact, and weathering.
- Warranty: The Tesla Solar roof comes with a 25-year warranty that covers performance and durability of the tiles.
- Economical: Once a system has paid for its initial installation costs–which are high–energy is free for the rest of its life span.
- Sell excess energy: If your system creates more solar energy then needed for your house, you may be able to sell it back to the Tesla Powerwall.
- Increased home value: Solar roofs increase the selling price when your home is on the market. There is a trend for these homes to sell faster too.
- Initial costs: A common barrier for homeowners when investing in any solar energy options is the upfront cost. This makes the product less affordable for homeowners.
- Complex installation: The installation of this roofing system is complex and requires a trained professional in this niche. The installation is also more time consuming taking around 1-2 weeks as compared to 1-2 days for a traditional roof installation.
- Limited design options: The Tesla Solar Shingles only resemble slate and terracotta tiles. If you’re looking for a specific appearance for your roof, these shingles may not be able to cater to that.
- Maintenance challenges: Since this product is new in the market, maintenance practices have not been streamlined. It will be more expensive and complicated to deal with issues regarding the Tesla Solar Shingles
- Limited availability: Orientation and roof pitch are factors that could prevent compatibility. Solar panels are heavy which not all roofing structures can support.
- Lack of transparency: Tesla has not released any official performance specifications on their solar roof shingles yet.
Tesla Solar Shingle design
In contrast to other solar roofing options such as chunky solar panels, solar shingles have a seamless design integrated right into your roof. Solar roof tiles sit flush with the rest of a roof. With a modern and sleek appearance, they are becoming very popular.
They are made of weatherproof tempered glass and have solar cells which convert sunlight into electricity.
An added benefit of the solar shingles is that they are modular. A homeowner could choose to only install them on a portion of their roof, potentially highlighting specific architectural features.
Overall, solar panels will increase curb appeal.
How long do Tesla Solar Shingles last?
Tesla solar roofs, according to Tesla, have a lifespan of, “infinity or 50 years, whichever comes first.” Just like all roofing components, the lifespan will depend on various factors like weather and upkeep.
Included in their purchase is a warranty that covers the tiles for, “the lifetime of your house, or infinity, whichever comes first.” There is more. The balance of the system components are covered by a 10-year warranty and their integrated solar panels come with a 25-year warranty that covers output.
How much to Tesla Solar Shingles cost?
Tesla’s goal was to design the solar shingles at a cost competitive to a traditional roof with solar panels installed.
While these shingles are more expensive than your typical shingles, they are made to be a cost-effective solution for renewable energy combined with functionality.
Factoring in labor costs to install the system, Tesla Solar Shingles cost an average of $55,000 to install on an average 2,000 square foot home. There are many factors that play into the price such as roof pitch, roof size, location, and accessibility,
How long does. aTesla Solar Shingles installation take?
When you take weather, roof size and complexity, and the availability of the materials into account, the installation time will vary.
On average, installation takes 1-2 weeks from start to finish. To inquire about your specific project, you should contact a company who will install them for the most accurate estimate.
While the roofing world is always evolving, innovative technology is at the forefront of that evolution. Tesla Solar Shingles could be a worthy investment because of the aesthetics, durability, warranty, economics, and an increase of home value. However, Tesla Solar Shingles still come with high up-front costs, long installation, maintenance and availability challenges, and unexplored territory.
Consider the pros and cons and make a decision that is best for your home.
Curious about solar panels?